Thursday, May 2, 2013

Disability and Sexuality

It is strange that in documentaries, the disabled people's sexuality is portrayed through their reproductive functions. All of the little clips I found about these people were about babies. (Maybe I'm not searching hard enough, but I've been watching documentaries and clips of these sorts for years and it's strange that I haven't come across any).

Meet Alison Lapper. I had found a 60 minute documentary about her sexuality and motherhood but due to copyright restrictions it has been removed (I had actually kept it in my playlist on youtube to share it for this week but too bad it's gone). But good news is, I found something else about Alison Lapper which pretty much sums up her life. The concepts of independence, motherhood, disability and prosthetics, forcing a person into so-called "normalcy" are prominent in the video. I definitely recommend to watch it all the way through. I tried to embed it but you just have to click the link.

CLICK HERE FOR ALISON LAPPER'S VIDEO


Here is Nick Vujcic who is an inspirational speaker. He's recently become a father. (Awwww). Listening to his personal experience is extremely interesting since he himself, although he has a lot of self confidence, he does admits that he thought he would never get married.



And finally meet Jeremy and Christianne. It's interesting to see the external gaze of others towards their relationship which is noteworthy.

NO EMBEDDING HERE EITHER SO CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment