Monday, March 11, 2013

Meet Sarah Churman

Last week we watched a very intriguing video at class which revolved around a group of deaf people in a fictitious setting in which deafness was eliminated through surgery. It sparked up many questions to whether this is discriminatory, whether this would wipe out the deaf culture, sign language and all the differences along with them. This was presented as a very problematic procedure.

However this reminded me of Sarah Churman. Here she is, watch her story. All the videos are quite short and I selected them in such a manner that it would cover the full story. It brought tears into my eyes. <3 I think it's good that people get to have a choice. I don't want to say that being deaf is bad, but this woman wanted to hear all her life. Maybe the short movie we watched at class will become reality someday. I have the impression that many people are going to opt for the operation as predicted...

Sarah Churman's story is science fiction turned into reality. You can see how her life changes, how she signs less as time goes by and how her marriage dynamics change through time.






No comments:

Post a Comment